Here my recipe. The thing about chutney is to use whatever you have to hand and not be too prescriptive, so all quantities are approximate. Lob in some green tomatoes if you like. This isn’t science. It’s cooking.
- 4lbs apples, peeled & chopped
- 2lbs onions, peeled & chopped
- 1 pint of vinegar – use posh expensive vinegar if you want, but malt vinegar will do fine and it’s cheap
- 2lbs sugar – any kind will do, brown, white, soft, dark… whatever
- 4oz sultanas or raisins or dates, whatever
Whatever else you put in is up to you. Some people might put in chillies, ginger, orange or mixed spice. I put in:
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- the juice and grated rind of a lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt and lots of ground black pepper
Shove it all in a big saucepan or preserving pan and bring it to the boil. Then turn it to a low simmer for about an hour and half until it looks like chutney. Stir it sometimes so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Put it in jam jars and store for three months before you use it.